Firstly, feel free to skip ahead for games discussion and analysis and information on talks I've delivered.
Hi there! I'm Tom Kitchin, otherwise most easily found online as TwoDaemon.
I'm currently based in Sheffield, England where I work as a Software Engineer, and my primary field of interest is games and game design - mainly videogames but board games are also beautiful.
I'm interested in game design, game analysis and discussion and in public speaking on those topics. If you're looking for someone with public speaking skills and a broad awareness of game design and the gaming industry, please check out my previous talks and definitely contact me.
I can be reached via my email at email@example.com or on Twitter at @TwoDaemon.
Articles on a selection of gaming-related topics, generally about design elements and such.
Style tends towards a sort of semi-informal topic analysis, although there will probably be a few less focused entries eventually in lieu of having a blog to put them on.
- A Good Death - Some thoughts on failure and frustration in gaming.
I've done some speaking at events on topics of game design and am actively seeking more opportunities to do so.
These are some events I've been involved in:
- A Good Death, an analysis of player failure as a part of game design. Delivered at GameCamp 2013, 18/05/2013.
- Chasing Butterflies, a microtalk on the design challenges of escort quests in games. Delivered at Nine Worlds, 10/08/2013. Followed the '20-20' constraint, twenty slides with the slides transitioning automatically every twenty seconds.
- Difficulty In Games: a barrier to art?, a panel discussing the issue of challenge in games blocking some players from the full experience. Panel at Nine Worlds, 11/08/2013. Other panellists: Shirley Procter, C.Y. Reid, Alan Zucconi.
- Theme and mechanics in a story-driven genre, a talk on the use of mechanics unusual in the adventure game genre to affect the player's interaction with and perception of the story. Delivered at AdventureX 2013, 07/12/2013.
- Drowning in the atmosphere, a talk on the power of theme and background narrative in games. Delivered at GameCamp 2014, 17/05/2014.